Friday 20 July 2012

Migration 2

This was wrote on 29 November 2009, titled "My Little Compilation"

*blowing and sweeping off the dust*
Ahh~, Its been quite some time since I last visiting post something here. Well, I am back! Quite a number of things happened while I was away, I graduated (from Pre-U), I shifted, I went to the karaoke for the first time, I start work and I have return to write!. Not gonna write about what I mentioned earlier, I got something on my mind which I would like to share. So, here goes!

Well, I cam across a word recently, which initiated a chain of thoughts and a little self-searching as well as a little reference to my past. The word I cam across is 'Success'. Well, from what i read is that success is based on one's destiny, whether are you born talented or just another average joe like me here. The path to success or failure is already pre-determined and there is no other way but to go with the flow. Well, I disagree because of a simple fact, that's not how I see it.

Without a shadow of a doubt that some people are just born talented. Well, what can I do? That's just not for me I guess? But having that privileged does not necessary mean a ticket towards success. I believe through hard work, we can go somewhere and be a somebody who actually can do or is good in something.

Well, I have a talent, at least that is what I think. I learn and grab new concept easily. For example, introduce me to a new sport, within that period of time, I can actually start playing a proper game, although being bad at it, but hey, I PLAYED a proper game. Besides, on my musical side, I can play the whole structure of the song after a few trails, for piano its more obvious compared to my guitar skills. So, being 'talented', why am I still an average joe? Simple, because I am lazy, having the ability or talent (in this case) of being a fast learner, I lack the hardworking side for success, I just can't bring myself to further upgrade myself from being good to great, partly due to I lack the motivation or motivator to do so? So, how can success be pre-determined and we're just plainly following the flow?

Well, that was for a bit of self-searching and I came to realise that i hardly succeed in most of the things that I am involved in, well maybe I did had my fair share of accomplishments but the outcome could very well been even better. So, I blame myself for not working hard enough...

Moving on, about my past, about success. I can further prove, besides hard work being the major key to it, one's state of mind is also very important. I'd been telling people to believe in themselves during times of hardship or crisis, did that even more so back when I was House Captain, trying to win the elusive Inter-House Cup back in high school. The most memorable times were my final two years, Form 4 and 5.

Back in Form 4, I was sort of in my prime, after being 2nd and 3rd the in previous two years respectively, I gained some recognition and was called up for the school team's tryout and training (I made my own luck as well since some of the other better sprinters transferred). I trained and work hard, maybe this is the only one that I really worked hard for. Adding to the fact that, I had mild asthma when I was young, so my stamina was never good and that was my major weakness. I threw up a couple of times due to my incompetence, but I kept it together, pushed myself though. The moment of the inter-school track & field was approaching, It was CNY so I watched my diet, won't wanna gain extra weight before the event and my family and I went to Penang, I remember a lot of my family members had food poisoning due to some Indian food we all consumed, yes, WE..I also had it. My time in Penang was far from enjoyable, this period of time just became even more unforgettable. I managed to recover in time, worked on my limited amount of fitness, getting ready for the event. Until, I got struck down with a very, very heavy flu, the heaviest throughout my entire life where my nose was literally blocked 24/7..no further elaboration, still hurts today. So yea, having not being 100% fit, I got sick, adding fuel to a raging fire no? I got a respectable 3rd in both my 100m and 200m heats, but it could have been much better, because, I didn't make it to the finals and the guy who ended up 2nd in my 200m heat was the eventual bronze medalist and he was just within inches away from me when we crossed the finishing line..need I say more?

Nonetheless, the school's Sports Day arrived, I was in, with a taste for redemption, making my debut in the Boy's A Category, where the Form 4, 5 and 6 compete. The favourite was definitely from another house while my own teammate as also more than capable of beating me. Like I care I always told myself, well that's me, even knowing how slim were my chances, I'll at least give it a go before saying its impossible, at least I tried =). Guess what, I made it, I crossed the finishing line first in my 100m sprint, albeit by being just ahead by 0.02 seconds. I won! The joy was overwhelming, as my trademark was to win coming from behind, I did it again! Well, there was a bit of a let down, because I came up short, by 0.1 seconds to break the record. My time was 11.71, while the record was 11.6. Oh well...As for my 200m, it was much more comfortable being 1st, still beating the favourite. Since then, people started to took notice and I earned the respect I feel I deserve in the field of track & field. Was I talented? Nope, I gained it thought hard work and a positive mind.

So, in Form 5, you would have guessed that I would be an automatic choice for the school team? Sadly, would you believe it? No!!! They did not even bother to send a team. When we were made up of a bunch of last minute recruits, they sent a team and when we actually have an established team, having a shout of being in the finals, they did not even bother. My dreams were shattered. My shape was better than it was in Form 4 as I maintained my training throughout the year and this is what I got. I lost hope and slacked, until I finally picked myself up, it was a tad too late as Sports Day, my final one was fast approaching. So, instead of personal glory, I diverted my attention to the team as a while, I focused on building up the whole team with season athletes overlooking the whole training process. Well, in the end, we lifted the cup after years of finishing 2nd. As for me, I got 2nd in the 100m but maintained an unbeaten record in 200m, albeit only for 2 years, hehe.. Ohya, I was in the relay team as well, we won the 4x100m for the 2nd year running, but the main highlight for me was the 4x400m.

My house's Boys A 4x400m team have never lost for 5 years straight, my year would make it 6th if we won. I was pulled into the team as my friend injured himself. I was made anchor (4th runner) as, well, my style is coming from behind. I was sort of like a last resort. Our first runner was made for this distance, but he was at a major disadvantage as he just won his 800m moments ago, so he was dead tired, he ended his up 4th or 5th when he passed the baton. Our 2nd and 3rd runner managed to cut the gap and maintained at 2nd place. Until my turn..yea, I should like a hero here no? Truth be told, it ain't fun. The one in front of me, a seasoned long distance runner and had a 50-60m lead. As for me, you already know about my stamina right? History repeated itself for the 6th time! We won, and I came from behind yet again. How did I do it? I blocked out the fear of me running out of gas halfway from my mind while motivating myself by saying 'the 6th year running'. I did that until I finally caught up and overtook him at the home 100m stretch (my territory). The moment I caught up, its like what's shown on TV, everything slowed down, my team (up in the stance) held their breathe from cheering and when I overtook him, the roar that came, gave me goosebumps which I can still recall today.The rest was just to hold the lead, I did that. Both my thighs, shins and calfs were crying their hearts out and I was in intense pain, but I couldn't care less cause we won!

So yea, was that pre-determined? Was that destiny? If so, then destiny can be altered so easily. If I had not motivated myself, I would have lost, like in the 100m. I had my priority all wrong. So yea, there is more to being successful. It takes more than one ingredient to reaching that ultimate goal. So, let's all work hard for it yea?

No comments:

Post a Comment